RE: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 17:37:12 +0000

> The proposal is only to create a key space in which
> third party packages could automatically create global
> key bindings, without conflicting with Emacs core (that
> is, without rebinding any key bound in vanilla Emacs)
> and without conflicting with users' personal settings.

No, your proposal was not _only_ to do that.

_My_ proposal was to do that, and to do it for keys
that are not already bound by default - just reserve
those for 3rd-party code.

_Your_ proposal was to change some key that already
has a default binding, and give it -- and ONLY it --
to 3rd-party libraries as a prefix key.
___

The _problem_ is indeed encroaching Emacs default key
bindings narrowing the usable keyspace for 3rd-party
code.

The best _solution_, which requires _NO_ discussion of
sacrificing this or that key already bound by default,
is to declare a moratorium on Emacs grabbing any more
_unbound_ keys by default (modulo possible important
exceptions, which would invite discussion and then
decision by maintainers).

Unfortunately, by you tossing your counter-proposal
into the ring, we've, quite predictably, gone down the
rabbit hole of my-key vs your-key, this-key vs that-key.

There's no reason, in order to reserve keys for
3rd-party use, to start by sacrificing _any_ keys from
those bound by default.  Not even one.  Not this one.
Not that one.  Not one.