Re: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 11:45:18 +0000

Most (All?) keyboards today have a Super key -- why not allocate that or parts of it to global third-party packages?

Because the super modifier cannot be used in a terminal or console?

That's what I thought until today, but indeed I may be wrong. Could you please explain how it is possible to use the super modifier in a console?

Without any reconfigs, "C-x @ s x" for s-x (see the event-apply-FOO-modifier functions).

That's not "using the super modifier", that's "a trick to fake the use of the super modifier".

The claim here was that it cannot be used, it can and trivially so and works out of the box. The super modifier (and hyper, etc) are fully supported by Emacs.

It seems that you forgot the context of the discussion. I was replying to your suggestion (see above) to "allocate the super key to third party packages". Typing "C-x @ s" is not "using the super key", it's a last resort possibility to fake the use of a super modifier. When you want to call goto-line, I'd bet you type "M-g M-g", not "C-x @ m g C-x @ m g".