Re: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 13:55:26 +0300

* Karthik Chikmagalur <karthikchikmagalur@gmail.com> [2021-02-13 04:52]:
> "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Most (All?) keyboards today have a Super key -- why not allocate that
> > or parts of it to global third-party packages?
>
> The super key is used by desktop environments, window managers or by
> Windows for system level functions. For example, super+p brings up the
> display/projector configuration menu on KDE and in Windows. super+l
> locks the screen in windows. Pressing super brings up an activities menu
> in Gnome. These are often not easy to rebind at the system level
> (without significant tweaking) and Emacs cannot use them easily.

That is not a reason to reject as that assumes generalized desktop
environments. They also use Control and Alternative in combinations,
so that would not be a reason to reject using Super in Emacs.

Good example is Alt-TAB that is often overwritten or used by Window
Manager but it has function in Emacs (don't stone me if I do not
remember which one), maybe completion, I do not remember.

You use those environments, I don't. I am using simple Window
managers, it works well for me.

Reservation of keys is not absolute reservation. But in general I
would say that there is no need for any reservations as it will not
solve problems of collisions.