RE: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 23:38:27 +0000

... but apparently you prefer to continue to use the few remaining keys that are not bound by default? Isn't that contradictory?

How so?  The few remaining keys are more than a single key.

... and a complete keymap is more than a single key.

No, sorry; I still don't understand. You can bind a keymap to a key. If there are _several_ keys that you can bind keymaps to, then that offers more possibilities than if there is only _one_ key that you can bind a keymap to.

I'm not sure I see what you mean. It's not _one_ key. Having a complete keymap at the disposal of third-party libraries means that there are (at least) 26 letters free; each of them can be bound to a separate keymap. Magit would bind the "g" and "M-g" keys, some other library would bind the "." and "," keys, another one would bind "x" key to a keymap, another one would bind the "C-k" and "C-l" keys, you would bind the "p" key to a keymap for your bookmark+ library, and so forth. Or am I missing something?

And with the "strong" version of the proposal, there would be (at least) 52 other prefix keys, with the meta- and control-meta- prefixes.

And the currently unbound keys are not limited to `C-x LETTER' or even `C-x <whatever>' keys.

Almost all C-SYMBOL and almost all C-M-SYMBOL keys are currently unbound indeed, but I don't see any evidence that Emacs is about to grab them all.