Re: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 13:15:40 +0200

> From: Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2021 10:11:28 +0100
> Cc: rms@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Without going as far as making a formal poll, I don't think it's
> unreasonable to be as careful for binding a new key as we are for
> rebinding an existing key.

What makes you think we aren't that careful?  That the decision so far
was to add that new binding doesn't mean the potential downsides
weren't considered.

> Besides, technical arguments were also brought forward:

I have nothing against technical objections, and said or did nothing
to prevent the technical discussions, including in this very thread.
The post to which you responded was only about a single demand: to
make a user poll each time we add a new key binding (or make a similar
change).

> As far as I can tell, the suggestion of a poll was only metaphorical,

Then I guess I have trouble understanding written English, because to
me the demand to take a poll sounded very much as an explicit and
concrete one.