Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!

From: jakanakaevangeli
Subject: Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2021 13:53:43 +0100

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> Hello jakanakaevangeli.

Hello

> I spent some time boring into the doc string and the description in the
> Elisp manual.  The only conclusion I could come to was that C-] is meant
> to abort EXACTLY ONE level.
>
> So I have tweaked the C sources once more and come up with the following
> patch.  It should apply to the Emacs state after yesterday's patch.
> Please remove the patch from earlier today before you try to apply the
> new patch.  Thanks!

During testing, I didn't encounter any problems related to your latest
patch so you hard work paid off.

Sadly, I did encounter 2 additional minibuffer issues which aren't
related to your latest two patches, that is, they are present regardless
if these patches are applied or not. I'm posting them here since they
are still possibly related to the new minibuffer frame-following
functionality.

1) With minibuffer-follows-selected-frame set to t (the default value):
- press M-x on frame A
- select frame B (the minibuffer will move to this frame)
- C-x o, to select the minibuffer
- C-g to quit it
Miniwindow stays selected and its buffer is *Minibuf-1* instead of
*Minibuf-0*. You can check this by evaluating (minibuffer-window).

2) With minibuffer-follows-selected-frame set to nil:
- (setq set enable-recursive-minibuffers t)
- (minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode 1)
- select frame A and press M-x
- select frame B and press M-x
- select frame A and close it
- select frame B and quit its minibuffer with C-g.
This doesn't quit the outer minibuffer, as expected, but this minibuffer
isn't shown anywhere and the only reasonable way to quit it is with C-],
which, I believe, a lot of users don't know about (at least I personally
didn't until quite recently). You can check this with
(minibuffer-depth).