Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2021 12:36:02 +0000

Hello, Richard.

On Sun, Feb 07, 2021 at 22:46:37 -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:

>   > Option 1. C-z, with a single exception: "C-z C-z" would be bound to
>   > "suspend-frame"

> I think that these changes for C-z, M-z and C-o would be a big pain in
> the neck.

> However, it would be possible to make M-z M-ANYTHING available for
> other bindings and reserve them for whatever we wish.  That would not
> conflict with the current meaning of M-z, because meta characters
> can't be in the buffer.

> The binding of M-m is less useful than many other keys.  Perhaps it
> could be given to some other use.

Please not.  I use M-m frequently.  If that binding were to be removed,
there would be no good way of doing what it does.  C-a M-f M-b is not
good.  I think the existence of bindings like C-o and M-m is one of the
differences between Emacs and lesser editors that makes Emacs so good.

I don't use C-z or M-z myself, but that's no reason for me to advocate
reassigning those keys to something else.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).