Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 11:30:13 +0200

>>> Your mileage may vary, but I use `M-m' tens or hundreds of time per day.
>>
>> I'm also using it a lot, so much actually that I rebound it to C-a
>> (with a test so that C-a C-a does beginning-of-line).
>
> I never considered making such a binding globally.  It's a good idea.
>
> (I don't want to fan the flames, but this makes me wonder why `C-a' does
> not already default to this behavior...)

For a long time I have been using such logic bound to `C-a':

  (if (bolp)
      (beginning-of-line-text arg)   ;; or (back-to-indentation)
    (if (fboundp 'move-beginning-of-line)
        (move-beginning-of-line arg)
      (beginning-of-line arg)))

But I don't remember the difference between beginning-of-line-text and
back-to-indentation and which one is better, neither the difference
between beginning-of-line and move-beginning-of-line.