Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2021 21:00:26 +0000

(But I personally still maintain that `C-z' should just be changed to `undo'.)

IMO that would be the worst possible binding for C-z. "Undo" is already bound to no less than three different keys. Binding it to yet another key just to make Emacs feel closer to other editors, when all other bindings are so different from other editors anyway, would (IMO again) be a serious mistake.

Of the global M-bindings, `M-o' seems least useful to me.

Leaving just one meta key (in this case M-o) for third-party packages would IMO not be enough to motivate their developers to put their default bindings there; third-party packages should not be considered as second-class citizens. It must either be a control key alone, or a control key and its corresponding meta key.