RE: [External] : Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for thir

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2021 03:20:28 +0000

> >> I use `M-m' tens or hundreds of time per day.
> >
> > I'm also using it a lot, so much actually that I rebound it to C-a
> > (with a test so that C-a C-a does beginning-of-line).
>
> I never considered making such a binding globally.  It's a good idea.
>
> (I don't want to fan the flames, but this makes me wonder why `C-a'
> does not already default to this behavior...)

To me, it's far more useful for a repeating
`C-a' (likewise `C-e') to move to the previous
(next) line beginning (end).

Just hold them down to zip along, just like
you do with `C-M-a' (and `C-M-e').  And nearly
every other backward or forward motion command.

In `misc-cmds.el' I define repeatable commands
`beginning-of-line+' and `end-of-line+' that do
that.  (And for my own use I bind them to `C-a'
and `C-e').

> > Do you also use plain C-a (in scenarios where
> > it disagrees with M-m) hundreds of times per day?
>
> Yes, I use `C-a' more frequently than `M-m'.

`M-m' is another that should be repeatable,
doing the same thing on the previous line.

In `misc-cmds.el' I define repeatable command
`back-to-indentation+'.  (Likewise, `forward'.)

(defun back-to-indentation+ ()
  "Move to the first non-whitespace char on this line, or eol if none.
If already there then do the same on the previous line.
This is a repeatable version of `back-to-indentation'."
  (interactive "^")
  (let ((opt  (point)))
    (back-to-indentation)
    (when (= opt (point))
      (forward-line -1)
      (back-to-indentation))))

(If someone uses both backward and forward,
`M-p' and `M-n' make more sense than `M-m'.)
___

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/misc-cmds.el