Re: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 10:08:20 +0100

> * Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com> [2021-02-05 07:14]:
>> The `C-c LETTER' space is great, but it's only 26 letters.  I used them
>> up
>> long ago, and I'm sure I'm not alone.  Having 4 or 5 more letters under
>> `C-x' would be a significant boost.
>
> As personal recommendation you can still use the `menu' key between
> the right Ctrl and Alt as prefix (I believe it would work as prefix),
> then there is Super key between Ctrl and Alt that can be used as
> prefix and I use it frequently, then there is Caps Lock that can be
> used as prefix.
>
> I guess none of them would work so easily in console mode. I wish that
> Emacs alone could bring solution to recognize Super key in console
> mode without fiddling with system settings, that would provide many
> new prefixes.
>
> Jean

Another problem with using more modifiers is that there are other
applications than Emacs which need/define shortcuts, and they are not
necessarily as easy to remap as in Emacs. A typical example is the
window manager. In addition, international users typically need a
compose key, which takes yet another modifier.