Re: Current mode command discovery

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Current mode command discovery
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 20:18:50 +0200

> From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <contovob@tcd.ie>
> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 18:08:17 +0000
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> >> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> >> Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 13:04:13 +0100
> >>
> >> This thread is only about this theoretical new command.
> >
> > Then how about if we stop mentioning M-x in this thread?  It is
> > utterly confusing to mention M-x when we actually are talking about
> > something else.  Some of the suggestions voiced here made me nervous
> > because I thought people were suggesting changes in how M-x works; now
> > I'm relieved to learn that no change to M-x's MO was meant.
>
> Hasn't the default M-x behaviour already changed thanks to
> read-extended-command-predicate?

It seems like indeed M-x behavior has changed.  So my fears were not
unfounded, sadly.  This is an incompatible behavior change, and it
should IMO be OFF by default.  Worse, NEWS doesn't call out this
behavior of M-x completion, and neither does the manual, at least not
clearly enough (the reference to read-extended-command-predicate is
too vague and doesn't mention completion).

I'm very uneasy about this change.