Re: [External] : Re: command mode-specificity [was: scratch/command 064f

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: command mode-specificity [was: scratch/command 064f146 1/2: Change...]
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 21:39:26 -0500

> On Feb 16, 2021, at 5:15 PM, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
>
> Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> writes:
>
>> I won't bother to try counting my other libraries.
>> My code might not be typical, of course.  But I
>> still am curious about the general case.  Can you
>> provide more than a sample of just 2 libraries?
>
> 5x5.el: 21 commands, 6 non-mode-specific ones.
>
> --
> (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
>   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no

My understanding is that, because gnus, eww and 5x5 are self-contained
“applications”, it makes sense that most of their commands only make sense in
the corresponding major mode. Likewise for org-mode, python-mode, etc. General
text editing commands and other utility commands would makes sense regardless
of the major mode, for example, bookmark, help, debug-on-entry, load-theme,
fill-paragraph.

So it all comes down to how many commands are from standalone applications and
major modes and how many from generic utility packages.

Yuan