Re: [External] : Re: command mode-specificity [was: scratch/command 064f

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: command mode-specificity [was: scratch/command 064f146 1/2: Change...]
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 21:52:49 +0200

On 17.02.2021 18:17, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
It's an improvement, IMO.  But I'm not sure people who want the
feature as it's implemented now will agree to this "relaxation",
because it allows one to invoke "irrelevant" commands.  I will let
others speak for themselves, though.

FWIW, I like the idea of this feature, just not some details of its implementation. And the modification in behavior which the patch I sent added was also requested previously by others.

So perhaps you want to reconsider the change of default at this time?

It's reasonable to default the new feature to off in the Emacs 28 release, but keeping it on for a few upcoming months at least should help us iron out the kinks and maybe even resolve our differences, rather than swiping them under the carpet.

That would be in line with previous discussions about enabling experimental features on master for a while to collect feedback.