RE: [External] : Re: command mode-specificity [was: scratch/command 064f

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: command mode-specificity [was: scratch/command 064f146 1/2: Change...]
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 18:44:56 +0000

> No one is arguing that having this filtering as an optional behavior
> can be useful.  The argument, at least from my side, was that I don't
> think it can, in its current too radical shape, be the default,
> because it is both backward-incompatible and provides no "fire
> escape".

+1.  Exactly.  Useful new behavior should
generally be optional and opt-in.

> If the implementation were to change, such that it didn't actually
> remove commands from the list of completion candidate, then perhaps we
> could make this the default (but even then I'm not sure).

There's no hurry to decide on a new default
behavior, especially for a brand-new feature.

Provide the behavior (in vanilla Emacs or a
3rd-party library), and see how much traction
it gains among users.  Emacs can always switch
to it as the new default behavior later, if
that seems to make sense.