Re: goto-line-history should not be buffer local.

From: Rolf Ade
Subject: Re: goto-line-history should not be buffer local.
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 12:38:11 +0100

Hello Alan,

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 01:26:56 +0100, Rolf Ade wrote:
>> Matt Armstrong <matt@rfc20.org> writes:
>
>> > Who are the people who would set the option back to buffer local
>> > history?
>
>> I will do. (Would prefer it's the default.)
>
>> What meaning have a certain line number from one buffer in another
>> buffer?
>
> When, for example, you accidentally run goto-line in the wrong buffer.
> When you switch to the buffer you wanted, you don't want to have to type
> in the whole line number again.
>
> When you have several versions of the same file, which happens in SW
> development, you may want to goto-line to the same position in a
> different version, in a different buffer.
>
> A third case, which is what got on my nerves last weekend, is when you
> are repeatedly killing a buffer and loading the same file again, so as
> to clear caches, and so on.  You want to go to the same place at each
> new loading, so as to do testing.

Thanks for explaning. I didn't thought about those cases but see now
why you are glad about a global goto-line history for them.

> I'm curious as to why somebody would want buffer local goto-line
> history.  How often does one repeat the same goto-line in the same
> buffer, and how does a buffer local history help?

When I valgrind an app I get line nummers from the output of the memory
debugger. Often the stack trace spread over several source files. While
looking around in the relevant files I would be glad for a local
goto-line history.