Re: goto-line-history should not be buffer local.

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: Re: goto-line-history should not be buffer local.
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 12:04:13 +0100

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> A third case, which is what got on my nerves last weekend, is when you
> are repeatedly killing a buffer and loading the same file again, so as
> to clear caches, and so on.  You want to go to the same place at each
> new loading, so as to do testing.

Out of curiosity, in this specific case, wouldn't revert-buffer (now
conveniently bound to C-x x g) accomplish the same thing?  (Clear
caches, while preserving the buffer-local history)

(Not suggesting that this invalidates your use-cases; just trying to
make sure I understand this one)

> I'm curious as to why somebody would want buffer local goto-line
> history.  How often does one repeat the same goto-line in the same
> buffer, and how does a buffer local history help?

🤷 I guess someone could use that buffer-local history as a manually
curated version of the mark ring?