Re: Always-true predicate?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Always-true predicate?
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 09:03:00 -0500

>> So I've now added it to Emacs 28.
> (But I did not make it interactive.  `ignore' is interactive, so making
> `always' also be interactive seems tempting, just from a symmetry point
> of view, but...)

`ignore` is interactive because it's handy for key-bindings where you
want a given key sequence to be silently thrown away (as opposed to
using nil which leaves other maps to decide what to do, and `undefined`
which prevents other maps from giving it a meaning).
It might even have been the original motivation for the `ignore` function.

I don't see such a use for `always`, OTOH.  So better leave it
non-interactive.

        Stefan