Re: Current mode command discovery

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Current mode command discovery
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 15:18:11 +0100

> Now that we have mode markup, should there be a command like `M-x', but
> instead lists only those commands that are specifically relevant to the
> current buffer?
>
> This would only be commands that have been marked for the current major
> mode and any active minor modes, I guess?
>
> If so, should that be bound to something, and if so, what?

I've now added a first attempt at this to the trunk now.

Click on a completion to select it.  In an eww buffer, it gives the
following commands to complete over.  Which seems reasonable...  ish.

Peculiarities that we might consider:

`ignore' shows up here, because we've bound `h' to `ignore' as a way to
disable that key binding.  That doesn't sound kinda non-ideal -- it
should be unbound instead.

`erc-track-switch-buffer' is a global minor mode?  Why?  All the minor
modes defined by erc are global, it seems like, which is kinda odd.

Uhm...  OK, I think that's it.  It doesn't seem like a bad list for a
first implementation.

The command name is really bad, though:
`execute-extended-command-for-buffer'.  Suggestions for a better name
are welcome.

Oh, and it's bound to `M-S-x' (for now).

In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.

Possible completions are:
beginning-of-buffer (<)         describe-mode (?)
digit-argument (9)      end-of-buffer (>)
erc-track-switch-buffer (C-c C-@)       eww (G)
eww-add-bookmark (b)    eww-back-url (l)
eww-beginning-of-text   eww-browse-with-external-browser (&)
eww-change-select       eww-copy-page-url (w)
eww-download (d)        eww-end-of-text
eww-follow-link         eww-forward-url (r)
eww-list-bookmarks (B)  eww-list-buffers (S)
eww-list-histories (H)  eww-next-bookmark (M-n)
eww-next-url (n)        eww-open-in-new-buffer (M-RET)
eww-previous-bookmark (M-p)     eww-previous-url (p)
eww-readable (R)        eww-reload (g)
eww-select-file         eww-set-character-encoding (E)
eww-submit      eww-switch-to-buffer (s)
eww-toggle-checkbox     eww-toggle-colors (M-C)
eww-toggle-fonts (F)    eww-toggle-paragraph-direction (D)
eww-top-url (t)         eww-up-url (u)
eww-view-source (v)     ignore (h)
negative-argument (-)   org-eww-copy-for-org-mode (C-c C-x C-w)
quit-window (q)         scroll-down-command (DEL)
scroll-up-command (SPC)         shr-next-link (TAB)
shr-previous-link (C-M-i)       url-cookie-list (C)