Re: Current mode command discovery

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Current mode command discovery
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 16:10:16 -0500

>    > Should be noted that M-S-x is tricky to get working on console
>    M-X works on any terminal.
> M-S-x does not work in _any_ terminal,

Indeed the treatment of "shift" in input events is surprisingly delicate
and messy.  We should make sure that both events get mapped to the same
command, indeed, regardless of this new keybinding.  In the terminals
I use hitting "meta + shift + x" sends Emacs "ESC X" which leads Emacs
to find the intended command without any trouble.  Which terminals have
you found which do differently?

This said, I don't think it's very important: `M-X` is bound to a new
command whose importance has not been demonstrated yet: maybe it'll
prove to be super convenient, and maybe it'll be just one more
experiment which didn't pan out.  So if it's difficult to access its
default binding in some setups, I'm not too worried.  We have many other
default bindings of reasonably important commands which are probably
a lot harder to access depending on your keyboard layout (like `M-C-%`)

        Stefan