Re: Current mode command discovery

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Current mode command discovery
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 17:09:57 -0500

   >    > Should be noted that M-S-x is tricky to get working on console
   >    M-X works on any terminal.
   > M-S-x does not work in _any_ terminal,

   Indeed the treatment of "shift" in input events is surprisingly delicate
   and messy.  We should make sure that both events get mapped to the same
   command, indeed, regardless of this new keybinding.  In the terminals
   I use hitting "meta + shift + x" sends Emacs "ESC X" which leads Emacs
   to find the intended command without any trouble.  Which terminals have
   you found which do differently?

I've mostly managed to avoided the issue.  But the majority of times
I've had them is when you connect to a remote system over a serial
line using cu or similar dumb program (the termcap to be something
dumb / exotic, and vt100 does not work).  Various terminal servers
(Moxa...)  also have had issues in how they handle shift when combined
with bucky keys, specially the older ones.

   This said, I don't think it's very important: `M-X` is bound to a
   new command whose importance has not been demonstrated yet: maybe
   it'll prove to be super convenient, and maybe it'll be just one
   more experiment which didn't pan out.  So if it's difficult to
   access its default binding in some setups, I'm not too worried.

Maybe, maybe not -- it was just a data point for someone to consider.

(But since everything is some Debian connected to a ANY terminal by
Andreas Schwab ltd ... do those support s-x and h-x? ;-)