RE: [External] : Re: Current mode command discovery

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Current mode command discovery
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 16:44:23 +0000

>> You distinguish between "commands" and "keys"?
>> Emacs doesn't.  C-f is a _command_, not (just) a key.
>
> Using our terminology carefully, C-f is not a command.
> C-f is a key, and it is bound to the command forward-char.
>
> I'm often sloppy about this, and I suppose everyone is.
> But when these distinctions matter, let's follow the
> definitions.

Exactly what I would have said.

Commands can be bound to keys (or vice versa).
We speak of key bindings.

And we use this terminology _"when these
distinctions matter"_.  Good point.

That's much/most of the time.  But in some cases
(e.g. the Emacs tutorial) we apparently decided
at some point that these distinctions didn't
matter for its presentation.  That doesn't mean
that there's no difference between a key and a
command.