Re: [ELPA] New package: pyim

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: pyim
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 17:09:19 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 22:01:09 -0500
> Cc: "emacs-devel@gnu.org" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> > pyim is a Chinese input method support quanpin, shuangpin, wubi and cangjie
> > More details: https://github.com/tumashu/pyim
>
> Yes, it would be a nice addition to GNU ELPA.

I'd rather prefer to have input methods bundled with Emacs, not on
ELPA.  Two reasons:

  . input methods are basic keyboard input, users should have them OOTB
  . adding an input method currently requires adding it to
    leim-list.el and re-dumping Emacs, so AFAIU at least some
    infrastructure is currently missing for installing input methods
    outside of the build

(Of course, if we are unfortunate enough to bump into legal matters
which cannot be resolved, then this is a moot point.)