Re: [ELPA] New package: pyim

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: pyim
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 17:18:12 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: rpluim@gmail.com,  tumashu@163.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 00:07:34 -0500
>
> >> ;;;###autoload
> >> (register-input-method "pyim" "euc-cn" 'pyim-start (nth 0 pyim-titles))
> >>
> >> is that a problem?
> >
> > I was talking about the installation.  What would that have to do, and
> > how would it do it?
>
> I don't understand the question: the above line shows that the package
> autoloads this `register-input-method` call.  IOW if the user has that
> package activated (which is the default for all packages that the user
> installed), then the above line will be executed between `early-init.el`
> and `init.el`.

Is that enough to correctly set up the user's language environment?

Also, leim-list.el is not just for register-input-method calls; even
if pyim doesn't need anything else (does it?), input methods in
general will, so if we want to install input methods from elpa's, we
need to support that somehow.

But in general (see my first point) I think input methods should be in
core, available in "emacs -Q" etc.