Re: [ELPA] New package: pyim

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: pyim
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 11:17:57 -0500

>> I don't understand the question: the above line shows that the package
>> autoloads this `register-input-method` call.  IOW if the user has that
>> package activated (which is the default for all packages that the user
>> installed), then the above line will be executed between `early-init.el`
>> and `init.el`.
> Is that enough to correctly set up the user's language environment?

I have no idea.  I think I'd have to ask Eli or Handa.
[ Notice how I carefully phrased the above quoted paragraph such that
  it only contains facts I know to be true because of how package.el and
  autoloads work: I know nothing about how input methods are registered
  and how that might interact with the user's language environment
  (and to be honest, I must admit that I don't really know what
  is a language environment either).  ]

> Also, leim-list.el is not just for register-input-method calls; even
> if pyim doesn't need anything else (does it?), input methods in
> general will, so if we want to install input methods from elpa's, we
> need to support that somehow.

I think we should aim to make it possible without too many contortions
to distribute and install input methods as external packages.

> But in general (see my first point) I think input methods should be in
> core, available in "emacs -Q" etc.

I tend to agree, but I don't think it makes it less important to support
external input methods.

        Stefan