Re: Requesting a paid version of Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Requesting a paid version of Emacs
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 01:31:21 -0500

  > Furthermore, most of the sync solutions for org-mode recommend proprietary
  > Dropbox or Google Drive.

Dropbox and Google Drive are services, not programs.  The distinction
of "proprietary" or "free" does not apply to them, at least not
straightforwardly.  We define exactly what it means to say a program
is proprietary, but I don't know what it means to say that a service
is proprietary.  Would you please explain what it is you mean in this
case?

Our moral requirement is not to recommend running any nonfree
software.  It is possible -- I don't know -- that these solutions
involve running some nonfree software.  If so, we should not recommend
them in Emacs or in Org mode.

Is there text in Emacs, or in Org mode, which recommends these?  If
so, we should check the facts about them.  Could you please show me
that text, and say precisely where it is published?  With that info we
could start checking.

--
Dr Richard Stallman