Re: master a0f6029: Fix misuses of `byte-compile-macro-environment`

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: master a0f6029: Fix misuses of `byte-compile-macro-environment`
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2021 16:23:19 +0100

3 mars 2021 kl. 16.16 skrev Basil L. Contovounesios <contovob@tcd.ie>:

> Indeed, 'make TEST_LOAD_EL=yes test/pcase-tests' succeeds,
> whereas 'make TEST_LOAD_EL=no  test/pcase-tests' fails.
>
> Should 'make test/%' be fixed to behave more like 'make check'?

Maybe -- test/Makefile.in says:

  # Whether to run tests from .el files in preference to .elc, we do
  # this by default since it gives nicer stacktraces.
  # If you just want a pass/fail, setting this to no is much faster.
  export TEST_LOAD_EL ?= \
      $(if $(findstring $(MAKECMDGOALS), all check check-maybe),no,yes)

For some tests it may be useful to run both .el and .elc; for others, it's just
a waste of time.
My guess is that on balance, .elc is more important (and faster) but obviously
.el gives better diagnostics when something fails.