Re: master a0f6029: Fix misuses of `byte-compile-macro-environment`

From: Basil L. Contovounesios
Subject: Re: master a0f6029: Fix misuses of `byte-compile-macro-environment`
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2021 01:47:28 +0000

>>>     Fix misuses of `byte-compile-macro-environment`
>>
>> This seems to result in the following test failure with 'make check',
>> but strangely not with 'make test/pcase-tests':
>
> Hmm... I wonder why the test code worked before that patch.
> The problem is that pcase macros defined with `pcase-defmacro` can't be
> used in the same file where they're defined (you need to wrap them in
> `eval-and-compile`).
> Maybe we should fix that, but the problem is not new, so I'm wondering
> why the bug didn't trigger earlier.

Beats me :/.  Even after reverting commits a0f60293d9 and 88ca2280ba,
'make check' still fails.  But both 'git bisect', and checking out its
parent 6ad9b8d677, point to a0f60293d9 as being the culprit.

>> BTW, 'make bootstrap' now emits this warning:
>>
>>   In cl--sm-macroexpand:
>>   emacs-lisp/cl-macs.el:2301:61: Warning: Unused lexical argument `dontcare'
>
> Yes, that's good: the warning wanrs about an actual problem.
>
>> (The 'sm' is the artist's signature, right? ;)
>
> Nah, the artist found a good excuse: "s(ymbol-)m(acrolet)"

Not the kind of nom de plume you see every day.

>> Is this the right fix?
>
> Yes, but it doesn't just pacify the byte-compiler: it fixes the source
> code (in Emacs-27, this worked by accident, really).

Thanks, pushed with the log message adapted accordingly.

--
Basil