Re: master a0f6029: Fix misuses of `byte-compile-macro-environment`

From: Basil L. Contovounesios
Subject: Re: master a0f6029: Fix misuses of `byte-compile-macro-environment`
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2021 13:48:12 +0000

> "Basil L. Contovounesios" <contovob@tcd.ie> writes:
>
>>> Maybe the latter doesn't use the byte-compiled version of the tests.
>>> Try something like
>>>
>>>  make TEST_LOAD_EL=no -C test pcase-tests
>>
>> Indeed, 'make TEST_LOAD_EL=yes test/pcase-tests' succeeds,
>> whereas 'make TEST_LOAD_EL=no  test/pcase-tests' fails.
>
> Oh, that explains a lot -- why saying "make foo-tests" often passes while
> saying "make check" fails, which has left me scratching my head often.
>
>> Should 'make test/%' be fixed to behave more like 'make check'?
>
> Yes, I think so.

It seems to be intentional though.  Quoth test/Makefile.in:

  # Whether to run tests from .el files in preference to .elc, we do
  # this by default since it gives nicer stacktraces.
  # If you just want a pass/fail, setting this to no is much faster.
  export TEST_LOAD_EL ?= \
      $(if $(findstring $(MAKECMDGOALS), all check check-maybe),no,yes)

And test/README:

  Note that although the test files are always compiled (unless they set
  no-byte-compile), the source files will be run when expensive or
  unstable tests are involved, to give nicer backtraces.  To run the
  compiled version of a test use

      make TEST_LOAD_EL=no ...

--
Basil