Re: master 6458e16: New mode outline-cycle-minor-mode with Orgmode-like

From: Gabriel do Nascimento Ribeiro
Subject: Re: master 6458e16: New mode outline-cycle-minor-mode with Orgmode-like TAB cycling on headings
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2021 21:31:04 -0300

This is a great feature, thank you!  I could replace all my custom elisp
code that handles outline cycle/highlight on my init.el with the new
minor-modes, and everything has been working fine so far.

I think that having only the variables is fine, I can't see any special
need for the minor-modes.

> 4. (advice-add 'xref--insert-xrefs :after
>             (lambda (&rest _args)
>               (setq-local outline-regexp "/")
>               (outline-cycle-minor-mode +1)))
>    using file names as headings where S-TAB could provide
>    an overview of all found files

The use of outline-minor-mode + cycle on xref buffers is one of my main
use cases. However, having to setup the outline-regexp and to add a
defadvice seems a dirty hack.  Should Emacs provide better defaults for
xref and other modes (like Gnus) for an easier integration with
outline-minor-mode ?

As another suggestion, would be nice to add more keybidings, for
example, to navigate between headers. The name 'cycle', however, maybe
not be a good choice in case Emacs offers more keybidings for
outline-minor-mode.