Re: master 6458e16: New mode outline-cycle-minor-mode with Orgmode-like

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master 6458e16: New mode outline-cycle-minor-mode with Orgmode-like TAB cycling on headings
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2021 14:07:55 -0500

>> [ As for how to resolve it (in terms of behavior rather than in terms
>>   of code), I think the cycling should only kick after trying
>>   indentation and the indentation function did not change the buffer.
>>   This is the kind of refinement in behavior which can't be obtained
>>   just by key bindings but is (barely) obtainable via `add-function`.  ]
>
> This fallback-on-no-op logic works for indentation, but not for e.g.
> diff-hunk-next (works only at the last hunk where TAB is no-op).

Indeed, it's no silver bullet.  In the case of `diff-hunk-next` and
`outline-minor-mode-cycle` we really have an irreconcilable
conflict, AFAICT.

> Another idea is to put the cycling keymap only at the beginning of the
> outline heading line.  Then at the beginning of the line TAB will cycle,
> while on the rest of the line TAB will fall back to the default binding
> to indent/navigate etc.

It might be a good idea to restrict the cycling behavior to the case
where we're at BOL, indeed (of course, it still won't help for
`diff-hunk-next`).

> Ah, this explains everything.  Now I tried to put it in the OVERRIDE part,
> and the result is angry fruit salad.

;-)

        Stefan