Re: master 6458e16: New mode outline-cycle-minor-mode with Orgmode-like

From: Daniele Nicolodi
Subject: Re: master 6458e16: New mode outline-cycle-minor-mode with Orgmode-like TAB cycling on headings
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2021 20:37:51 +0100

On 04/03/2021 19:17, Juri Linkov wrote:

>> Can't you add setting the variables to the minor-mode hooks?
>
> It's easier to set them using minor-mode like
>
>   (add-hook 'emacs-lisp-mode-hook 'outline-cycle-highlight-minor-mode)
>
> than using lambda
>
>   (add-hook 'emacs-lisp-mode-hook
>     (lambda ()
>       (setq-local outline-minor-mode-cycle t)
>       (setq-local outline-minor-mode-highlight t)
>       (outline-minor-mode 1)))

That would seem to imply that there should be a minor-mode for every
buffer-local safe variable in Emacs... :-)

>> I haven't tried your code, but there are occasions in which
>> outline-minor-mode is used to section the buffer on syntactic elements
>> that are already fontified (on function declarations, for example). What
>> does happen then when outline-minor-mode-highlight is t? I think these
>> would be cases in which outline-minor-mode-highlight nil would be better.
>
> outline-minor-mode-highlight already works surprisingly well,
> and doesn't override faces added by major mode.

Doesn't that mean that it does not apply the faces most of the time? In
almost all my use of outline-mirror mode, the headings are comments in
the current major mode, and almost always are fontified as such by the
major mode.

I should probably try your code. Do you know if it works in Emacs 27?
That would spare me from having to compile Emacs.

Cheers,
Dan