Re: Question about pgtk -- is it meant to fix the disconnect crash bug?

From: Daniele Nicolodi
Subject: Re: Question about pgtk -- is it meant to fix the disconnect crash bug?
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2021 23:57:02 +0100

On 04/03/2021 23:10, chad wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 2:51 PM Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name
> <mailto:spwhitton@spwhitton.name>> wrote:
>
>     I had thought that one of
>     the benefits of the pgtk branch was that it would not have this bug,
>     which plagues the old Emacs GTK builds.  Am I just making that up?
>

> Adding a bit of historical perspective: it might be more accurate to say
> "the GTK people are unwilling to address the issue when it's caused by
> what some people call 'unclean gtk use' inside emacs", with the
> concomitant hope that they will more more receptive to a pure-gtk issue.
> AFAIK, the only alternative to GTK fixing the problem is something
> semantically very close to monkey-patching.

The last time I looked at this the GTK maintainers are interested in
investigating the bug and fixing it in GTK as long as it does not
involve debugging Emacs but a more manageable reproducer of the issue.
AFAIK, no one tried to provide one.

Also, the last time I looked, Emacs aborts() when it detects the
condition that causes the bug, thus fixing the bug in GTK does not
automatically fix Emacs.

Cheers,
Dan