Re: Name of buffers created by project-shell

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Name of buffers created by project-shell
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 02:41:03 +0200

On 14.03.2021 15:46, Matthias Meulien wrote:

Both shell and eshell buffers can change their default-directory, but
we can track which project they belong to with a new variable. See the
attached patch.

Thanks! I am testing it.

I am not an eshell user but I guess the patch should use the variable
`eshell-buffer-name' defined in eshell.el in place of the hardcoded
"*eshell*" string.

Makes sense.

I think there's a problem even without using C-u:

`project-shell' from a buffer whose associated project root path is
/src/project1 creates a buffer named *shell*.

Then `project-shell' from a buffer whose associated project root path is
/src/project2 creates a buffer named *shell*<project2> (I am using the
default `post-forward-angle-brackets' for `uniquify-buffer-name-style').

But the uniquify rationalize mecanism doesn't rename the first buffer to
*shell*<project1> which happens to be the case for buffers visiting
files...

Yup, that's another bug. It should also how up for vc-dir buffers too.

To reiterate the choices at this point, we either implement special buffer-naming scheme in project and give up on consistency with project-vc and uniquify-buffer-name-style, or we try to fix both problems we have found in uniquify so far.

In theory, the latter would be ideal, and uniquify has certainly been lacking in developer attention. But I have no idea how much work that entails. If you have time, help in that area would be very welcome. Otherwise I'll have to add it to my list.