Re: [ELPA] A Setup package

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [ELPA] A Setup package
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 00:15:47 -0400

>>> Why use help--make-usage at all?
>> To avoid reinvent the wheel.
> I could reduce it to
>
>         (mapcar (lambda (arg)
>                   (if (string-match "\\`&" (symbol-name arg))
>                       arg
>                     (intern (upcase (symbol-name arg)))))
>                 (get sym 'setup-signature))
>
> which does the job.

Sounds good (but it still shows there's a need for Emacs to provide
a function that does that).

>>> It might be better to save the specification in a separate variable and
>>> modify this destructively for every setup-define call, so as to avoid
>>> the overhead of redefining the entire specification all the time.
>>
>> I wouldn't bother, no.  In the patch below I instead did the
>> spec-processing when setting `setup-debug` (and I also dropped the
>> `none` support because I don't see what it gains: for a macro that
>> takes no arguments, `&rest sexp` works as well).
>> And there is a better option for Emacs-28 and after.
>
> The reason I introduced `none` was that :hide-mode is not repeatable and
> has no arguments, resulting in the edebug specification
>
>     (":hide-mode" sexp)
>
> However this always fails to match.

Indeed that was wrong.  Same problem for non-repeatable macros with more
than one argument.  But in the code I sent in the last message I fixed
this by always using `&rest sexp` for those Setup macros without debug
spec (just like Edebug for normal macros).

        Stefan