Re: 'M-o' ('facemap-keymap') has now been removed until March 10th 2021

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: 'M-o' ('facemap-keymap') has now been removed until March 10th 2021
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 08:58:59 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> > Actually, it looks like the following is needed to get back the old
>> > bindings:
>> >
>> >   (require 'facemenu)
>> >   (define-key global-map "\M-o" 'facemenu-keymap)
>> >   (define-key facemenu-keymap "\es" 'center-line)
>> >   (define-key facemenu-keymap "\eS" 'center-paragraph)
>>
>> These two functions aren't really related to the facemenu functionality,
>> so I think that just confuses the issue.  If somebody wants to have a
>> binding for these two commands, that's presumably orthogonal to whether
>> they want to have the facemenu-keymap functionality.  So these people
>> should just put them on `C-c LETTER' or wherever they put things.
>
> We are talking about getting back the old behavior, so we should let
> users have _all_ of it back.  We could, of course, clarify that the
> last two bindings are unrelated to faces, and that they are needed
> only if the user wants them back.

If the user just wants to get center-line back with the old binding
(without doing the facemap thing), they'll have to say something like:

(global-set-key "\M-o" (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
                         (define-key map "\es" 'center-line)
                         map))

Which is why I'd rather not talk about center-line in the context of
facemenu.