Re: master 432c1aa: Use `pop-to-buffer-same-window' in `project-eshell'

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: master 432c1aa: Use `pop-to-buffer-same-window' in `project-eshell'
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 12:31:56 -0500

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> Perhaps the answer is to first decide which behavior makes most sense,
> then make M-x eshell and M-x shell both adopt it, and then do it for
> project-* versions as well (which would be the easy part)?

Yes, that's a good approach.

> I'm guessing the average user is more likely to more often use, say,
> eshell and project-eshell, rather than alternate between shell and
> eshell evenly.

Sounds like a reasonable first guess.

I have no idea if my use is typical, but I use eshell when I can and
shell when I have to.  That is, I prefer eshell but sometimes run into
problems with this or that and cowardly revert to shell instead of
trying to fix it.

For example, I'm currently too lazy to figure out how to use a Python
virtualenv/venv with eshell so I'm back to using shell for a bit.