Re: master 432c1aa: Use `pop-to-buffer-same-window' in `project-eshell'

From: Theodor Thornhill
Subject: Re: master 432c1aa: Use `pop-to-buffer-same-window' in `project-eshell'
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 20:29:57 +0100

>> When I first implemented those functions I made eshell behave more like
>> shell, and also made shell behave more sensibly (to me... which also is the
>> reason universal argument acts differently from mx shell). Right now I am
>> thinking we should let display-buffer decide.
>
> Meaning not use pop-to-buffer-same-window?

Too often i feel emacs places buffers or windows in seemingly arbitrary places,
destroying my window setup. To circumvent this, my default display-buffer
behavior is to always reuse same window. If we make more and more parts of
emacs decide this on their own, I have to add more and more edge cases to make
emacs behave.

>> Should we force one behavior over another?
>
> FWIW, my (moderate) preference is Eshell's behavior because it's also
> consistent with IELM or Dired. And I use it more.

Yeah, Im inclined to agree, though I dont think we should force it.

—
Theodor