Re: Handling extensions of programming languages (Perl)

From: Harald Jörg
Subject: Re: Handling extensions of programming languages (Perl)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 20:31:40 +0100

Stefan Monnier writes:

> [...]
> I don't see any problem with a :core `cperl-mode` package which comes
> bundled with its own version of `perl-mode.el` (nor would I find it
> problematic to export `perl-mode.el` into its own :core GNU ELPA
> package).

That's great!  So that should be an issue at all.  I've yet to get
familiar with the procedures around GNU ELPA.

>> That was my first thought as well.  But then, the declarators appear in
>> places where other languages have their types.
>
> [ I think you use a very restricted definition of "other languages" here.
>   It's definitely not the case for most of the statically typed languages
>   I've used, except for C.
>   I'm thinking of OCaml, SML, Haskell, Agda, Coq, Modula-2, Pascal, Ada, ... ]

Guilty, your honor.  In the last years I've dealt with Emacs Lisp (only
very recently), Perl, C, Java, JavaScript ... and before that with a
dialect of PL/1, assembly languages (68000, x86, /390) ... and before
that with FORTRAN, where everyone's type system seemed to be IMPLICIT
INTEGER I-N.  So indeed, almost no intersection with your list.
--
Cheers,
haj