Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Handling extensions of programming languages (Perl)

From: Harald Jörg
Subject: Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Handling extensions of programming languages (Perl)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 00:43:47 +0100

Stefan Monnier writes:

>>> Of those the only ones that are statically typed seem to be C, Java,
>>> Fortran and PL/1; and AFAICT only 50% (C and Java) use a syntax where
>>> the type is placed at a location comparable to where `my` is placed in
>>> Perl, IMO.
>>
>> Fortran, too, unless you do the IMPLICIT trick.
>
> OK, I must admit that my knowledge of Fortran syntax is poor, so I had
> done a quick search and found
> https://pages.mtu.edu/~shene/COURSES/cs201/NOTES/chap02/declare.html
> which seems to suggest that the syntax is "TYPE :: VARS", which seemed
> different enough from "TYPE VAR".
>
> OK, I'll grant you half points for Fortran, so you're up to 62.5% ;-)

I'm happy with that!  Also, I might sort of deserve half points.  As I
wrote, Fortran was my first computer language.  I should have specified:
I started with Fortran 4 and left with FORTRAN 77.  Both had
declarations like "INTEGER N".
(https://web.stanford.edu/class/me200c/tutorial_77/).  "TYPE :: VARS"
came only with Fortran 90.  And now I feel old.

https://www.rickmurphy.net/advent/ADVENT.FT is an example of FORTRAN
code from that era (the legendary Colossal Cave Adventure).

Emacs, of course, supports both dialects!
--
A HOLLOW VOICE SAYS "PLUGH".
haj