Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Handling extensions of programming languages (Perl)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Handling extensions of programming languages (Perl)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 18:24:45 -0400

>> Of those the only ones that are statically typed seem to be C, Java,
>> Fortran and PL/1; and AFAICT only 50% (C and Java) use a syntax where
>> the type is placed at a location comparable to where `my` is placed in
>> Perl, IMO.
>
> Fortran, too, unless you do the IMPLICIT trick.

OK, I must admit that my knowledge of Fortran syntax is poor, so I had
done a quick search and found
https://pages.mtu.edu/~shene/COURSES/cs201/NOTES/chap02/declare.html
which seems to suggest that the syntax is "TYPE :: VARS", which seemed
different enough from "TYPE VAR".

OK, I'll grant you half points for Fortran, so you're up to 62.5% ;-)

        Stefan