Re: master 2399541: Remove font-lock toggle from font-lock-update

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master 2399541: Remove font-lock toggle from font-lock-update
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 18:07:02 -0400

Lars Ingebrigtsen [2021-03-24 18:49:51] wrote:
> "Paul W. Rankin" via "Emacs development discussions."
> <emacs-devel@gnu.org> writes:
>> No worries. I thought of pushing a change as the nicer alternative to
>> a revert. To be blunt, the code ought to be reverted (for the reasons
>> already stated).
> It's clear that this is your opinion, but you don't seem to have
> convinced the other people participating in this discussion.

FWIW, I'm not sure if `font-lock-update` (ether it's Paul's or the
other) is really better than the old `font-lock-fontify-block`.  I think
they all suffer from being fundamentally "defined by their
implementation" making it hard to evolve when some change is made to the
font-lock machinery.

I'd much prefer a longer `font-lock-fontify-diwm` which tries to
reproduce more or less the same behavior as your favorite, but by
explicitly testing the different circumstances you care about.

        Stefan