Re: master 2399541: Remove font-lock toggle from font-lock-update

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: master 2399541: Remove font-lock toggle from font-lock-update
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 09:44:03 +0000

Thanks for your detailed reply!

Yes, there are three cases: - font-lock-mode is nil - font-lock-mode is t but the font-lock machinery is not activated (e.g. in text-mode with the default config). - font-lock fully activated.

With this indication and another mail you sent to Eli, I think I finally understand what you mean. One thing I'm not entirely sure is whether the second case is (and font-lock-mode (not font-lock-keywords)) or (and font-lock-mode (not font-lock-fontified)), but my guess is that font-lock-fontified is an internal variable and that it is safer to use font-lock-keywords here.

+Otherwise, with prefix ARG, toggle Font Lock mode."

Is this behavior useful?

I think it is, yes, and I think it makes sense to use the prefix argument for that. M-x font-lock-mode does not always produce the expected effect, which can be puzzling, so having a way to "do what I mean" in a command is useful.

I attach the patch, updated with your suggestions.