Re: Suggested experimental test

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Suggested experimental test
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 01:41:45 +0200

On 23.03.2021 08:12, Yuri Khan wrote:
On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 at 05:45, Dmitry Gutov<dgutov@yandex.ru>  wrote:

I think something like this is only worthwhile if we were changing a
whole bunch of bindings. Like not just C-o, but also C-n and C-s, to
their "other software" counterparts.
More importantly, we should have a bulletproof way to move things off
C-x and C-c. The workaround we have in cua-mode is time-sensitive and,
depending on network lag, I regularly get false negatives (switching
buffers on ‘C-x →’ when I meant to cut and move right) and false
positives (copy and overwrite region on ‘C-c C-c >’ when I meant to
‘python-indent-shift-right’).

I think there are basically two directions:

- Find two other C-<char> prefix key combinations to move the main prefix keymaps to. C-d and C-e come to mind (basically all other keys that are situated closer to Ctrl or Caps on a qwerty keyboard are all taken up by popular bindings such as C-a "select all" or C-s "save file").

- Go all the way to VS Code/Atom/Notepad/etc approach and depopulate these prefix maps. And then use two modifiers at a time for the important commands/prefix maps which we still need to have bindings. For example, that would move 'C-x v' to 'C-M-g' and 'C-x C-i' to 'C-M-o', or similar (Emacs is a lot more keyboard-driven than the other editors in this example, so a lot of our commands don't have direct counterparts to look up bindings of, and we'll need to improvise).

Or maybe we could combine these both in some productive fashion.

Not sure if that's the response you were looking for. Personally, I'm content with only using a small part of foreign conventions in my Emacs bindings and not looking to switch away. But if we're going to devise a proper solution for newcomer-friendly bindings, I don't think we should stop at just the four that cua-mode changes.