Re: Suggested experimental test

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Suggested experimental test
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 15:09:50 +0200

On 23.03.2021 14:41, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Isn't the idea of providing a theme to change the behaviour that users
can enable or disable them easily, without the defaults having to change?

The theme suggestion was a proposal to conduct an experiment without
interfering with those who want no part in the experiment.

It has another goal as well: to have bindings changed in a logical and consistent fashion.

Having find-file on both 'C-x C-f' and 'C-o' would make little sense to me, for example.

But
eventually, the intent is to change the default behavior, because
rebinding any key to any command is already possible, and nothing
prevents users from doing that in their private init files.  So having
a non-default theme that makes a bunch of such rebindings makes little
sense to me.

I think the above is more important than the goal of making it a default (which might or might not happen in 10 years or so, if we end up reaching some critical mass of users who dislike Emacs's historical bindings).

But even while the alternative keybindings theme is not the default, we would maintain it and keep it usable. Whenever we add something to the default set, we would consider adding a corresponding binding to that other theme, etc.

Having an alternative, well-considered set of bindings which new user can just toggle on and get comfortable should be valuable.