Re: Suggested experimental test

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Suggested experimental test
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 00:44:47 +0200

On 23.03.2021 00:02, Stefan Kangas wrote:
But if we're going to do that, `C-o' seems like a bad choice.  If it is
to be worth changing this keybinding to anything, it should be to
`find-file'.  That is, after all, what all other software assigns this
key to.

I think something like this is only worthwhile if we were changing a whole bunch of bindings. Like not just C-o, but also C-n and C-s, to their "other software" counterparts.

Perhaps not by default, but as a part of some "keybindings theme". Since the goal of the experiment was to free up the binding, that could've been beneficial in the context of such themes (the fewer important default bindings a theme touches, the fewer of them it has to reassign), but indeed not particularly critical given that C-o's current binding has no standard counterparts in other editors.