Re: Suggested experimental test

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Suggested experimental test
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 19:17:25 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> I don't use `C-o' myself, so I can't really say to what degree this
>> would be annoying or not for users.  Any `C-o' users who have an opinion
>> here?
>
> I use it _a_lot_.

`M-o M-o' seemed to be a command that many people were unaware of, but
when they learned of what it was used for, they recognised the utility
of such a command.  (I was certainly one of them.)

I've tried using `C-o' here and there, but it never seems to do what I
want, so I wonder what the practical use case for this command is.  I'm
probably missing something.

That is, I expected the command to go from this:

(defun eww-detect-charset (html-p)
  (let ((case-fold-search| t)

to this:

(defun eww-detect-charset (html-p)
  (let ((case-fold-search|
         t)

Instead it gives me this:

(defun eww-detect-charset (html-p)
  (let ((case-fold-search|
 t)

The | character gives the point position.

In text-like modes it seems less awkward, since I just `M-q' afterwards
anyway.