Re: Suggested experimental test

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Suggested experimental test
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 23:22:27 +0000

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> On 23.03.2021 00:02, Stefan Kangas wrote:
>> But if we're going to do that, `C-o' seems like a bad choice.  If it is
>> to be worth changing this keybinding to anything, it should be to
>> `find-file'.  That is, after all, what all other software assigns this
>> key to.
>
> I think something like this is only worthwhile if we were changing a
> whole bunch of bindings. Like not just C-o, but also C-n and C-s, to
> their "other software" counterparts.

Perhaps.  But it also gets progressively harder to convince emacs-devel
about it the more keys you add into the mix.  Being an old crank, I'm
not even sure I'm very convinced myself.  ;-)

> Perhaps not by default, but as a part of some "keybindings theme".

Yes, it would definitely be interesting to see if making far-reaching
changes in keybindings could work out.  A theme/profile would be a good
and presumably uncontroversial method to find out.