Re: Suggested experimental test

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Suggested experimental test
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 19:04:40 +0200

Cc: bugs@gnu.support, larsi@gnus.org, gregory@heytings.org,
  emacs-devel@gnu.org, stefankangas@gmail.com
From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 15:09:50 +0200

Having an alternative, well-considered set of bindings which new user
can just toggle on and get comfortable should be valuable.

I doubt that, because we already tried that in CUA mode.  That one
actually was better posed to succeed, since its key bindings weren't
invented "out of thin air", but use widely accepted conventions.

CUA mode is only halfway there (if that). It doesn't reach the other common bindings, such as C-o for 'open file', C-n for 'new file', C-s for 'save file', C-f for 'search forward', C-y for 'redo', C-a for 'select all'.

And its dispatch is timer-based, as Yuri reminds us. Which is a constant source of subtle annoyance which makes its use untenable long-term, IMHO. Only as a set of training wheels for new users, but I wonder if even that is a good role for it, given that those annoyances create a worse impression of the editor for users who enabled it.

That said, I have no objection to having non-default sets of key
bindings that users can turn on at will.  I was only responding to
what I thought was a proposal for conducting such experiments with the
eventual goal of making the bindings the default.

You said "having a non-default theme that makes a bunch of such rebindings makes little sense to me". I have hopefully addressed that.

And as for making such a theme a default, that's far off enough in the future not to worry about it much. But OTOH if we manage to make this "keybinding theme" approach work, even a switch to a different theme by default won't have to be too painful for the many existing users, since they would be able to turn on the "Emacs classic" keybinding theme, which we will surely create by then.