Re: Sv: Emacs HTTP libraries [was: Re: How to contribute new package to

From: Darshit Shah
Subject: Re: Sv: Emacs HTTP libraries [was: Re: How to contribute new package to GNU ELPA?]
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 00:09:52 +0200

On 30.03.21 00:03, Jose E. Marchesi wrote:

>>> libwget from GNU Wget2 is a better alternative. It is a GNU
>>> project and shares the libgnutls dependency with Emacs.
>>
>> Are you sure about that one?
>>
>> https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/wikis/GNU-vs.-non-GNU
>
> wget2 is definitely a GNU program.
> I'm CCing Darshit, the maintainer.

I am the maintainer of GNU Wget and Wget2 is the spiritual successor to
Wget itself. It is not a new / different project. Wget2 is written as a
frontend to the library, libwget the same way as cURL is the frontend ot
libcurl.

Yes, libwget is not as battle tested as libcurl is, but we're working
towards getting more projects to use it. There are other GNU projects
that are also interested in integrating libwget for their HTTP client
library needs

>From a technological point of view, please evaluate libwget and if you
find it short / missing in some aspect, let us know and we can work with
you to add the needed features. From a philosophical point of view,
you'd be supporting a free software project that better aligns with the
GNU ideologies.